Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Mmmm....boba.

After lunch today, L and I stopped by a local coffee house for a boba milk tea. I'm not into the fancy-shmancy "mocha vanilla caramel slush-a-cino latte" types of drinks. A good iced coffee is hard to find. The only iced coffee drinks I really care for are the Vietnamese Iced Coffee mentioned in my earlier post and coffee milk tea with boba. Mmmm...boba. The little black-brown balls in the picture are "boba". They tend to weird a lot of people out because they are chewy and slimy. All they are, though, is tapioca. Nothing crazy or weird.

There are only three places in LA that make a coffee milk tea with boba the way I like and two of them have closed up. The other one is in Chinatown in downtown LA. The acceptable nearby alternative is a place called Upper House on Sawtelle Blvd. That's where we ended up after lunch. They don't have a coffee milk tea so I opted for a plain milk tea with boba. Pretty good stuff and beggars can't be choosers.