Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Taming chaos - UPDATED

**UPDATED - Added some pics of my TV wire taming.


Two weekends ago, I took on the task of organizing the rat's nest of wires that had evolved over time under our computer desk. I got the idea after seeing something similar on another website. It's pretty simple really. It involves mounting peg board to the bottom of your desk or table and then attaching all of your components and wires to the pegboard with zip ties.




It took a few hours to do, mainly because I was watching TV at the time and going at it very leisurely. I've moved onto applying a similar technique, though slightly different, to the mess of wires that live behind my television.

Here's the original mess behind my TV.

I found these plastic do-dads at Home Depot in the sections with zip ties. You stick them to the surface and run the zip tie thru them. They even have a hole in the center to add a screw for extra hold.
About an hour later I had everything connected. This system works better than the peg board. It allows me to easily add and remove components.

And finally, this is what I see when I watch TV. The really nice thing about getting all the wire in the office and the living room off the ground is that it's must easier to sweep and dust....on top of looking much cleaner.

Original site that inspired me--> www.decluttered.com