Sunday, October 28, 2007

All dressed up and somewhere to go.

Yes, this is what we wore for our work sponsored Halloween party. We wanted something simple and not too involved. Allow me to explain.

Over the past 5 or 6 months we got hooked on the re-invented version of Battlestar Galactica. We really don't watch much television, so it's very rare that we get caught up in something. I started watching Battlestar while L would be nearby on the laptop. Over the course of the first few episodes, she started asking more and more questions about this character and that one. Eventually, all this lead to her and I binging on 2 or 3 episodes in one sitting. While this was going on the show was in season 3 so we had a lot of catching up to do. Long story short, we're all caught up. The show is really good. It's a human drama that just happens to take place in space. Since we started watching I've had at least one friend and a couple of family members get hooked.

So all said and done, we dressed up as some off duty crew members from the show. The costumes were chosen because they would be simple enough to put together, but as we went along I started adding details to add to the "authenticity" of our outfits.

The BDU jackets that we wore were spiced up a little. We got them from the Army/Navy store nearby. I added buckles and straps from a used ruck sack. The arm patch was made from a cleaned up image from the internet. I printed it to iron-on paper and that I then applied to a stiffened piece of felt that conveniently had a sticky backside. The collar pins were done the same way.

The dog tags that they wear on the show are different from the standard military issue dog tags in that they are hexagonal. The ones I made out of paper looked okay, but they were too light and I wasn't satisfied with them. So instead we used these necklaces that we got when we went to see The King of Kong. The medallions are meant to look like game tokens or gold quarters or something. Each side features one of the two main characters from the documentary. I wrote about the movie earlier in the blog if you're interested. Anyway, the necklaces fit in nicely with the rest of the costume.
L was a little worried that people wouldn't really get our outfits. I reminded her that we work at a visual effects industry with a work force that is primarily male. I assured her that this show was more than popular among her fellows fx industry pals. And sure enough, as we were walking into the party behind 3 woman in scantily clad angel costumes, a large man in a Skipper outfit (ala Gilligan's Island) yelled to us: "BSG! Nice!" He completely ignored the 3 angels in front of us and made my point to L.