Quick - here's an update.
I haven't updated in a while, so allow me to type a quick flurry of organized letters to catch everyone up to speed.
L started working at Digital Domain a few weeks back. She does 2D roto and paint work for feature films. One of these days I'm gonna make a video giving a breakdown of the stuff that L and I do for a living. It's a bit difficult to explain to people in a sentence or two. It's not like we can say something like "Oh, I'm a circus clown and she's an accountant." People would get that with little or no explanation. Unfortunately, that's not what we do. I did go to Ringling Art School for college, which half the people I meet assume is some sort of clown school. These are the same people that think I draw in the computer since I'm a computer animator. Any hoo.... L got a job. She's doing great and getting back into the swing of things. She's currently working on a film called The Golden Compass.
It's cool working at the same place as her. We've done that before, but during that time we either weren't dating or we were dating but we kept it a secret from everyone at work to preserve our privacy. We actually work in different buildings, so we don't see each other all the time. We'll take coffee breaks here and there or grab some lunch together. The other day we had lunch on the grass near the beach. It was nice. One of those moments when you snap out of yourself and think, "Damn. Life is good."
L is working some crazy FX industry hours right now for the next few weeks. 10 hour days, 6 day weeks...the usual "oh shit, we gotta finish this movie. everyone work more." sort of thing. Anyone in the FX industry knows the drill. A 40 hour week is almost unheard of and about as rare as pink unicorns and forest faeries. If you find yourself leaving the office at 5pm, then someone's bound to throw out the "you working a half day?" joke. I'm doing 45 hour weeks right now, which is the DD norm and she's pushing about 60 hour weeks at the moment. So the least you can do is hang out the in the movie theater after your movie and look for our names in the credits. And then scream out, "HEY! I KNOW THAT PERSON!" Do it for us.
We've got a trip coming up in October. We're going to China with L's family. It should be an adventure. Ten Chinese people and a white guy. Stay tuned for the blog on that one.
For now, my parents are in town visiting from Florida. They're spending half their time here in LA and the other half in San Diego. I took some time off from work to spend with them. We're having a good time. They're the kind of vacationers that don't demand much. Just quality time sitting around talking and eating. They've been to California before so we don't have to waste our days at Disneyland or hanging out at the Chinese Theater taking pictures with Crocodile Dundee. It's good having them around.
Today I showed them where L and I work and took them down to Venice Beach to people watch for a bit. Tonight, we'll watch a movie in the home theater and have burgers. Nice and easy.
That'll be all I got for now. Check back later for more info, pics and video.
